menu

1948
The Kiwanis Club of South Edmonton received its charter effective July 6, 1948.  We have been around for awhile!

President: Norm McBeth
Treasurer: A. E. Sulter
Secretary: Frank Oakie


1949
In 1949 the club was involved in its first Apple Day.  The funds went to support the Kiwanis Children's Home, a forty child orphanage which was a project of the Kiwanis Edmonton club (Downtown).  This was the beginning of a long history of cooperation between the Edmonton area clubs.

President: Norm McBeth
Treasurer: A. E. Sulter
​Secretary: Frank Oakie


1950
This was the year the club first set up a Christmas Tree Lot, a fundraiser that continues to this day.  In the early years the members actually went out and cut down trees to sell.  These days we buy trees from sustainable tree farms.  

Also in 1950 we started working with Easter Seals, a partnership that lasted until 2001. 

President: Norm McBeth
Treasurer: A. E. Sulter
​Secretary: Frank Oakie

1951

"Toys for the handicapped and needy": In cooperation with the manual training and industrial arts classes in four Edmonton schools, we produced toys that were distributed to disadvantaged children. Our club provided needed materials and looked after distribution.  Kiwanian Harold Shutt headed up the committee 1951 - 1957.  10,000 toys were produced and 4,000 students were involved over those years.

Blind Bowling League:  This league operated for many years at the Strathcona Bowling Alleys.  Our club provided personnel to assist bowlers and funded transportation and prizes.  Our records indicate that this league operated from 1951 - 1958.

President: Frank Cowles
Treasurer:  
​Secretary:  

1952 

President: Ralph Hanson
Treasurer: 
​Secretary:

1953

Edmonton Cerebral Palsy Clinic: The clinic officially opened at 75 Ave and 115 St. (now the South Edmonton Cultural Centre) in 1953.  Construction was funded jointly by proceeds of our Easter Seals Campaign and the Provincial Government.  The clinic is now part of the Glenrose Hospital.

President: Dunc Innes
Treasurer: 
​Secretary: 

1954

President: Harold Turnbull
Treasurer:
​Secretary: 

1955

President: Andy Adomson
Treasurer:
​Secretary: 

1956

President: Hany Newton
Treasurer: Don Grower
​Secretary: Howard Curtis

District 6 Lt. governor: Ken Gordon

1957

President: Gordon Hayward
Treasurer: Don Grower
​Secretary: Howard Curtis

1958


1958 was the first year that summer camp was held for kids with disabilities, at Boysdale on the Sturgeon River.

President: Hugh McColl
Treasurer: Don Grower
​Secretary: Howard Curtis

1959

School for the Deaf: KCSE provided funds to help with needs not covered by the Provincial Government.  For example. hearing aids were provi=ded from Easter Seals proceeds.

The second summer camp was held at Boysdale.

President: Reg Burton
Treasurer: John Williams
​Secretary: Howard Curtis

1960

In the late 1950's, it was evident that there was a need for a recreational facility for people with disabilities. The Kiwanis Club of South Edmonton strongly supported the concept and spearheaded the project. A committee of members of our club, Bob Sewell, Dr. Ken Gordon, Walter Bates and Norm McBeth was formed to select a permanent site and to establish a camp especially suited to meet the needs of children with mental and physical disabilities.

In 1959, these committee members approached the Provincial Government with their project. It was approved in principle, and the Government directed them to a 107 acre parcel of property located on Lake Isle that was accessible by boat only. This site was selected, and lease arrangements with the Department of Lands and Forests was drawn up.

A plan was developed to attract other groups that were involved in work with people with disabilities to join in the effort to achieve the goal of the Kiwanis Club. The Alberta Council consisted of representatives from the Kiwanis Club of South Edmonton, the Associated Canadian Travelers Club of Edmonton, the Diabetic Association, and the Edmonton Cerebral Palsy Association. These organizations contributed varying amounts of money to get the project started, and with donation of buildings from Imperial Oil Ltd. and the construction of a Medical Centre by Mr. & Mrs. Muttart, the Camp commenced operation in 1960.

President: Tom Graves
Treasurer: John Williams
​Secretary: Howard Curtis

1961

South Side Hockey Arena: This arena located southwest of Strathcona Composite High School, was built in cooroperation with three other south side service clubvs. A program was launced to raise the money to build tje facility.  The Provincial Government agreed to match each dollar raised.  It took three years and was done by selling raffle tickets for a trip around the workd.  Tickets wers sold at the exhibition grounds during the summer.  Our club provided fund raising manpower to this project and City Parks managed the facility.  It continues to operate at full capacity.

President: Don Gower
Treasurer:  John Williams
​Secretary:  Roy Donald

1962

President: Perey Marshall
Treasurer:  
​Secretary:

1963

President: Walter Bates
Treasurer:  
​Secretary:

1964

President: John Williams
Treasurer:  
​Secretary:

1965

President: T. Allan Brodley
Treasurer:  
​Secretary:

1966

President: Colin Layton
Treasurer:  
​Secretary:

1967

President: Robert Bouey
Treasurer:  
​Secretary:

1968

A special focus was placed on Apple and Christmas Tree fund rasing.

The club had a record number of new members join.

President: Ed Bean
Treasurer:  
​Secretary:

1969

President: Bob Sewell
Treasurer:  
​Secretary: